Kathan Kamps History
Dr. Dudley Kathan owned property in the Sacandaga River valley, and decided to move to higher ground. After acquiring the new property, he moved the family farmhouse and barn along with the old one-room schoolhouse and a granary to his new land. These buildings became the start of Kathan Kamps. The Great Sacandaga Lake was created in 1930 when construction of the Conklingville Dam was completed, turning the Sacandaga River valley into a 42 square mile reservoir for the Hudson River. Dudley then added 3 log cabins, and a cabin was built for his son (Dr. Norman D. Kathan, Sr.) and his family. The cabins were made available to friends for summer vacations. Many friends kept coming back year after year, creating a wonderful community. Through the years, more cabins were added and families grew. The Kathan family has flourished in our beloved campsite and our youngest are now the 6th generation! The history, both of the valley and our family is a big part of what makes Kathan Kamps so special. With every passing year, we welcome renters, many of whom have been coming for generations, and are dear friends to us. We welcome the chance to show new renters how special Kathan Kamps is!